Thrift is that habit of character that prompts one to work for what he gets, to earn what is paid him; to invest a part of his earnings; to spend wisely and well; to save, but not hoard.
How horrible, fantastic, incredible it is that we should be digging trenches and trying on gas masks here because of a quarrel in a far-away country between people of whom we know nothing. It seems still more impossible that a quarrel which has already been settled in principle should be the subject of war.
- Ramsay MacDonald British Head of State
- Winston Churchill British Head of State
- David Lloyd George British Liberal Statesman
- Harold Macmillan British Head of State
- Benjamin Disraeli British Head of State
- William Ewart Gladstone British Head of State
- Margaret Thatcher British Head of State
- Nancy Astor, Viscountess Astor American-born British Politician
- E. F. L. Wood, 1st Earl of Halifax British Politician
- Oliver Cromwell British Head of State