The basic idea which runs right through modern history and modern liberalism is that the public has got to be marginalized. The general public are viewed as no more than ignorant and meddlesome outsiders, a bewildered herd.
The people who were honored in the Bible were the false prophets. It was the ones we call the prophets who were jailed and driven into the desert, and so on.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Daniel C. Dennett American Philosopher, Atheist
- Jacques Derrida French Philosopher, Literary Theorist
- Dwight Macdonald American Film Critic
- Richard Rorty American Philosopher
- Gloria Steinem American Feminist
- Abbie Hoffman American Political Activist
- Cynthia Ozick American Novelist
- Steven Pinker Canadian Psychologist
- Barbara Ehrenreich American Social Critic
- Amos Bronson Alcott American Teacher