Does a man speak foolishly? — suffer him gladly, for you are wise. Does he speak erroneously? — stop such a man’s mouth with sound words that cannot be gainsaid. Does he speak truly? — rejoice in the truth.
Mr. Lely, I desire you would use all your skill to paint my picture truly like me, and not flatter me at all; but remark all these roughnesses, pimples, warts, and everything as you see me, otherwise I will never pay a farthing for it.
I had rather have a plain, russet-coated Captain, that knows what he fights for, and loves what he knows, than that which you call a Gentle-man and is nothing else.
He Oliver Cromwell in a furious manner, bid the Speaker leave his chair; told the house That they had sat long enough, unless they had done more good; and that it was not fit they should sit as a parliament any longer, and desired them to go away.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Harold Macmillan British Head of State
- Winston Churchill British Head of State
- Benjamin Disraeli British Head of State
- Margaret Thatcher British Head of State
- William Ewart Gladstone British Head of State
- David Lloyd George British Liberal Statesman
- Ramsay MacDonald British Head of State
- Neville Chamberlain British Head of State
- Benito Mussolini Italian Head of State
- Jimmy Carter American Head of State