To trust God when we have securities in our iron chest is easy, but not thankworthy; but to depend on him for what we cannot see, as it is more hard for man to do, so it is more acceptable to God.
Meditation is the soul’s perspective glass, whereby, in her long removes, she discerneth God, as if he were nearer at hand.
Some are so uncharitable as to think all women bad, and others are so credulous as to believe they are all good. All will grant her corporeal frame more wonderful and more beautiful than man’s. And can we think God would put a worse soul into her better body?
Laws were made to restrain and punish the wicked; the wise and good do not need them as a guide, but only as a shield against rapine and oppression; they can live civilly and orderly, though there were no law in the world.
He who would be singular in his apparel had need have something superlative to balance that affectation.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Thomas Paine American Nationalist
- Hugh Walpole English Novelist
- Joan Collins English Actress
- John Bunyan English Writer, Preacher
- Reginald Horace Blyth English Author
- John Mason Good English Writer
- Jonathan Miller English Stage Director
- G. K. Chesterton English Journalist
- Samuel Johnson British Essayist
- Francis Bacon English Philosopher