Five great enemies to peace inhabit with us: vice, avarice, ambition, envy, anger, and pride. If those enemies were to be banished, we should infallibly enjoy perpetual peace.
Love is the crowning grace of humanity, the holiest right of the soul, the golden link which binds us to duty and truth, the redeeming principle that chiefly reconciles the heart of life, and is prophetic of eternal good.
Sameness is the mother of disgust, variety the cure.
- Bonaventure Italian Christian Scholar
- Dante Alighieri Italian Poet, Philosopher
- Pietro Aretino Italian Author
- Leonardo da Vinci Italian Polymath
- Giacomo Leopardi Italian Poet
- Metastasio Italian Poet
- Antonio Porchia Italian Poet
- Francesco Guicciardini Italian Historian
- A. E. Housman British Poet
- Thomas Aquinas Italian Catholic Priest