As rivers, when they overflow, drown those grounds and ruin those husbandmen, which, whilst they flowed calmly betwixt their banks they fertilized and enriched, so our passions, when they grow exorbitant and unruly, destroy those virtues to which they might be very serviceable whilst kept within their bounds.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Roger Bacon English Philosopher
- Isaac Newton English Physicist
- Francis Bacon English Philosopher
- Humphry Davy British Chemist
- Edmund Burke British Philosopher, Statesman
- Jonathan Swift Irish Satirist
- David Hume Scottish Philosopher, Historian
- Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz German Philosopher, Mathematician
- Alfred North Whitehead English Mathematician, Philosopher
- Herbert Spencer English Polymath