It was much later that I realized Dad’s secret. He gained respect by giving it. He talked and listened to the fourth-grade kids in Spring Valley who shined shoes the same way he talked and listened to a bishop or a college president. He was seriously interested in who you were and what you had to say.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Charles Cooley American Sociologist
- Charlotte Perkins Gilman American Feminist, Writer
- W. E. B. Du Bois American Sociologist, Activist
- Harriet Martineau English Sociologist
- William Graham Sumner American Polymath
- Howard Gardner American Psychologist
- Stephen Jay Gould American Paleontologist
- Shoshana Zuboff American Social Psychologist
- Toni Morrison American Novelist
- Bernice Johnson Reagon American Singer