You must have this charm to reach the pinnacle. It is made of everything and of nothing, the striving will, the look, the walk, the proportions of the body sound of the voice, the ease of the gestures. It is not at all necessary to be handsome or to be pretty; all that is needful is charm.
Topics: Actors, Acting
The truth, the absolute truth, is that the chief beauty for the theatre consists in fine bodily proportions.
The monster of advertisement… is a sort of octopus with innumerable tentacles. It throws out to right and left, in front and behind, its clammy arms, and gathers in, through its thousand little suckers, all the gossip and slander and praise afloat, to spit out again at the public.
We must live for the few who know and appreciate us, who judge and absolve us, and for whom we have the same affection and indulgence. The rest I look upon as a mere crowd, lively or sad, loyal or corrupt, from whom there is nothing to be expected but fleeting emotions, either pleasant or unpleasant, which leave no trace behind them.
Life begets life. Energy becomes energy. It is by spending oneself that one becomes rich.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- James Dewar British Chemist, Physicist
- Wilhelm Roentgen German Physicist
- Aristotle Onassis Greek Businessperson
- Jacques Cousteau French Military Leader
- Anne Louise Germaine de Stael French Woman of Letters
- Simone de Beauvoir French Philosopher
- Honore de Balzac French Novelist
- Moliere French Playwright
- Gerard de Nerval French Romantic Poet
- Alfred de Musset French Poet, Playwright