A spiritual man always has to have the upper hand on the lower nature.
There are only two things you can really depend on: one is the changeableness of life, and the other is the unchanging Self within you.
If you want to know how much you have progressed in your spiritual life, just look back and reflect on the changes.
Everything is permanent, until it changes.
Listen for silence in noisy places; feel at peace in the midst of disturbance; awaken joy when there is no reason.
When you react to a situation, do not re-enact it. Wait until the emotional nature has completely composed itself, then study your reaction.
- Ram Dass American Hindu Teacher
- Swami Chinmayananda Indian Hindu Teacher
- B. K. S. Iyengar Indian Hindu Yoga Teacher
- Yogaswami of Jaffna Sri Lankan Hindu Religious Leader
- Paramahansa Yogananda Indian Hindu Mystic
- Ramakrishna Paramahamsa Indian Hindu Philosopher
- Amos Bronson Alcott American Teacher
- Robert Henri American Painter
- John Ciardi American Poet
- Joseph Goldstein American Buddhist Teacher