Conceit not so high an opinion of any one as to be bashful and impotent in their presence.
It is much better to have your gold in the hand than in the heart.
The real difference between men is energy. A strong will, a settled purpose, an invincible determination, can accomplish almost anything; and in this lies the distinction between great men and little men.
Topics: Men, Enthusiasm, Success
First get an absolute conquest over thyself, and then thou wilt easily govern thy wife.
If it were not for hope, the heart would break.
A man in passion rides a horse that runs away with him.
He is a good man whom fortune makes better.
Many have been the wise speeches of fools, though not so many as the foolish speeches of wise men.
One cloud is enough to eclipse all the sun.
The greatest man living may stand in need of the meanest, as much as the meanest does of him.
How weak a thing is gentility, if it wants virtue!
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Winston Churchill British Head of State
- Arnold J. Toynbee British Historian
- Francis Bacon English Philosopher
- William Wordsworth English Poet
- Isaac Newton English Physicist
- Joseph Addison English Poet, Playwright, Politician
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge English Poet
- John Locke English Philosopher
- William Cowper English Anglican Poet
- Jane Austen English Novelist