The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
Boredom is the feeling that everything is a waste of time; serenity, that nothing is.
When a person can no longer laugh at himself, it is time for others to laugh at him.
Punishment is now unfashionable… because it creates moral distinctions among men, which, to the democratic mind, are odious. We prefer a meaningless collective guilt to a meaningful individual responsibility.
The greatest analgesic, soporific, stimulant, tranquilizer, narcotic, and to some extent even antibiotic –in short, the closest thing to a genuine panacea –known to medical science is work.
Knowledge is gained by learning; trust by doubt; skill by practice; and love by love.
In the animal kingdom, the rule is, eat or be eaten; in the human kingdom, define or be defined.
Clear thinking requires courage rather than intelligence.
- William Glasser American Psychiatrist
- Karl Menninger American Psychiatrist
- David Viscott American Psychiatrist
- M. Scott Peck American Psychiatrist
- Theodore Isaac Rubin American Psychiatrist
- R. D. Laing Scottish Psychiatrist
- George Soros American Investor
- Harry Houdini Hungarian-born American Magician
- William Graham Sumner American Polymath
- Abraham Maslow American Psychologist