In the animal kingdom, the rule is, eat or be eaten; in the human kingdom, define or be defined.
When a person can no longer laugh at himself, it is time for others to laugh at him.
Boredom is the feeling that everything is a waste of time; serenity, that nothing is.
Punishment is now unfashionable… because it creates moral distinctions among men, which, to the democratic mind, are odious. We prefer a meaningless collective guilt to a meaningful individual responsibility.
The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
The greatest analgesic, soporific, stimulant, tranquilizer, narcotic, and to some extent even antibiotic –in short, the closest thing to a genuine panacea –known to medical science is work.
Knowledge is gained by learning; trust by doubt; skill by practice; and love by love.
Clear thinking requires courage rather than intelligence.
- William Glasser American Psychiatrist
- Karl Menninger American Psychiatrist
- David Viscott American Psychiatrist
- M. Scott Peck American Psychiatrist
- Theodore Isaac Rubin American Psychiatrist
- R. D. Laing Scottish Psychiatrist
- George Soros American Investor
- Harry Houdini Hungarian-born American Magician
- William Graham Sumner American Polymath
- Abraham Maslow American Psychologist