Where there is great love, there are always miracles.
The miracles of the church seem to me to rest not so much upon faces or voices or healing power coming suddenly near to us from afar off, but upon our perceptions being made finer, so that for a moment our eyes can see and our ears can hear what is there about us always.
What was any art but a mould in which to imprison for a moment the shining, elusive element which is life itself.
Prayers said by good people are always good prayers.
Only solitary men know the full joys of friendship. Others have their family —but to a solitary and an exile his friends are everything.
Topics: Friendship, Solitude, Friends and Friendship
Writing ought either to be the manufacture of stories for which there is a market demand — a business as safe and commendable as making soap or breakfast foods — or it should be an art, which is always a search for something for which there is no market demand, something new and untried, where the values are intrinsic and have nothing to do with standardized values.
Topics: Authors & Writing, Writers, Writing
Sometimes a neighbor whom we have disliked a lifetime for his arrogance and conceit lets fall a single commonplace remark that shows us another side, another man, really; a man uncertain, and puzzled, and in the dark like ourselves.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- John Steinbeck American Novelist
- Elizabeth Gilbert American Novelist
- William S. Burroughs American Novelist
- Ellen Glasgow American Novelist
- Thornton Wilder American Novelist, Dramatist
- Erica Jong American Novelist, Poet
- Anita Loos American Actor
- Barbara Kingsolver American Novelist, Essayist
- Robert Penn Warren American Novelist, Poet
- Bernard Malamud American Novelist