Life is a journey up a spiral staircase; as we grow older we cover the ground covered we have covered before, only higher up; as we look down the winding stair below us we measure our progress by the number of places where we were but no longer are. The journey is both repetitious and progressive; we go both round and upward.
—William Butler Yeats
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- George Bernard Shaw Irish Playwright
- George William Russell Irish Author
- Oscar Wilde Irish Poet, Playwright
- Brendan Behan Irish Poet
- Oliver Goldsmith Anglo-Irish Novelist, Poet
- Jonathan Swift Irish Satirist
- James Joyce Irish Novelist
- W. H. Auden British-born American Poet
- T. S. Eliot American-born British Poet
- Edmund Burke British Philosopher, Statesman