From religion comes a man’s purpose; from science, his power to achieve it. Sometimes people ask if religion and science are not opposed to one another. They are: in the sense that the thumb and fingers of my hand are opposed to one another. It is an opposition by means of which anything can be grasped.
—William Lawrence Bragg
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Michael Faraday British Physicist, Chemist
- Isaac Newton English Physicist
- Paul Dirac English Theoretical Physicist
- Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar Indian-American Astrophysicist
- Max Planck German Theoretical Physicist
- C. V. Raman Indian Physicist
- Stephen Hawking English Theoretical Physicist
- Niels Bohr Danish Physicist
- Charles Darwin British Naturalist
- Humphry Davy British Chemist