Oh, the secret life of man and woman –dreaming how much better we would be than we are if we were somebody else or even ourselves, and feeling that our estate has been unexploited to its fullest.
Most people hew the battlements of life from compromise, erecting their impregnable keeps from judicious submissions, fabricating their philosophical drawbacks from emotional retractions and scalding marauders in the boiling oil of sour grapes.
We grew up founding our dreams on the infinite promise of American advertising. I still believe that one can learn to play the piano by mail and that mud will give you a perfect complexion.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Harper Lee American Novelist
- Michelle Richmond American Novelist
- Willa Cather American Novelist
- John Steinbeck American Novelist
- Philip K. Dick American Novelist
- E. W. Howe American Novelist
- F. Scott Fitzgerald American Novelist
- Pearl S. Buck American Novelist
- Nathaniel Hawthorne American Novelist
- Henry Miller American Novelist