We grew up founding our dreams on the infinite promise of American advertising. I still believe that one can learn to play the piano by mail and that mud will give you a perfect complexion.
Most people hew the battlements of life from compromise, erecting their impregnable keeps from judicious submissions, fabricating their philosophical drawbacks from emotional retractions and scalding marauders in the boiling oil of sour grapes.
Oh, the secret life of man and woman –dreaming how much better we would be than we are if we were somebody else or even ourselves, and feeling that our estate has been unexploited to its fullest.
- Harper Lee American Novelist
- Michelle Richmond American Novelist
- Philip K. Dick American Novelist
- Willa Cather American Novelist
- John Steinbeck American Novelist
- William S. Burroughs American Novelist
- Thomas Bailey Aldrich American Poet
- Henry Miller American Novelist
- Langston Hughes American Novelist
- Robert Penn Warren American Poet