My mind to me a kingdom is; such present joys therein I find, that it excels all other bliss that earth affords.
Abstinence is approved of God.
Certes, they been lye to hounds, for an hound when he cometh by the roses, or by other bushes, though he may nat pisse, yet wole he heve up his leg and make a countenance to pisse.
Of all the floures in the mede,
Than love I most these floures white and rede,
Soch that men callen daisies in our toun.
Go, little book; God send thee good passage, and specially let this be thy prayer, unto them all that thee will read or hear, where thou art wrong, after their help to call, thee to correct in any part, or all.
Of fortune’s sharp adversity, the worst kind of misfortune is this, that a man hath been in prosperity and it remembers when it passed is.
Ye been oure lord, dooth with youre owene thyngRight as yow list.
- Abraham Cowley English Poet
- John Dryden English Poet
- Edmund Spenser English Poet
- John Webster English Dramatist
- John Milton English Poet
- William Wordsworth English Poet
- John Masefield English Poet
- Roger Bacon English Philosopher
- Francis Bacon English Philosopher
- Henry St John, 1st Viscount Bolingbroke English Politician