Neuroscience is showing that all aspects of mental life — every emotion, every thought pattern, every memory — can be tied to the physiological activity or structure of the brain. Cognitive science has shown that feats that were formerly thought to be doable by mental stuff alone can be duplicated by machines, that motives and goals can be understood in terms of feedback and cybernetic mechanisms, and that thinking can be understood as a kind of computation.
Most intellectuals today have a phobia of any explanation of the mind that invokes genetics.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Daniel C. Dennett American Philosopher, Atheist
- E. O. Wilson American Zoologist
- Sam Harris American Neuroscientist, Atheist, Author
- Daniel Kahneman American-Israeli Psychologist, Economist
- Amos Tversky Israeli Cognitive Psychologist
- Noam Chomsky American Linguist, Philosopher, Social Critic
- B. F. Skinner American Psychologist
- Carl Sagan American Astronomer
- Isaac Asimov American Novelist, Critic, Popular Scientist
- Daniel Goleman American Psychologist, Author