Most men are individuals no longer so far as their business, its activities, or its moralities are concerned. They are not units but fractions; with their individuality and independence of choice in matters of business they have lost all their individual choice within the field of morals.
I would rather lose in a cause that will someday win, than win in a cause that will someday lose.
A radical is one of whom people say ‘He goes too far.’ A conservative, on the other hand, is one ‘who doesn’t go far enough.’ Then there is the reactionary, ‘one who doesn’t go at all.’ All these terms are more or less objectionable, wherefore we have coined the term progressive.
We grow great by dreams. All big men are dreamers. They see things in the soft haze of a spring day or in the red fire of a long winter’s evening. Some of us let these dreams die, but others nourish and protect them; nurse them through bad days till they bring them to the sunshine and light which comes always to those who hope that their dreams will come true.
Topics: Growth, Dreams
The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it.
I have always been among those who believed that the greatest freedom of speech was the greatest safety, because if a man is a fool, the best thing to do is to encourage him to advertise the fact by speaking.
You are not here merely to make a living. You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand.
- Theodore Roosevelt American Head of State
- Jimmy Carter American Head of State
- William McKinley American Head of State
- Ronald Reagan American Head of State
- Bill Clinton American Head of State
- Andrew Jackson American Head of State
- Warren G. Harding American Head of State
- John F. Kennedy American Head of State
- Franklin D. Roosevelt American Head of State
- Lyndon B. Johnson American Head of State