A radical is one of whom people say ‘He goes too far.’ A conservative, on the other hand, is one ‘who doesn’t go far enough.’ Then there is the reactionary, ‘one who doesn’t go at all.’ All these terms are more or less objectionable, wherefore we have coined the term progressive.
I have always been among those who believed that the greatest freedom of speech was the greatest safety, because if a man is a fool the best thing to do is to encourage him to advertise the fact by speaking.
The man who is swimming
against the stream knows the strength of it.
Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together.
We grow great by dreams. All big men are dreamers. They see things in the soft haze of a spring day or in the red fire of a long winter’s evening. Some of us let these great dreams die, but others nourish and protect them; nurse them through bad days till they bring them to the sunshine and light which comes always to those who sincerely hope that their dreams will come true.
You are not here merely to make a living.
You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply,
with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement.
You are here to enrich the world,
and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand.
I would rather lose in a cause that will some day win,
than win in a cause that will some day lose.
- Theodore Roosevelt American Head of State
- Jimmy Carter American Head of State
- William McKinley American Head of State
- Ronald Reagan American Head of State
- Bill Clinton American Head of State
- Andrew Jackson American Head of State, Judge
- Warren G. Harding American Head of State
- Franklin D. Roosevelt American Head of State
- Lyndon B. Johnson American Head of State
- John F. Kennedy American Head of State