The deepest personal defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming, and what one has in fact become.
The Good Book — one of the most remarkable euphemisms ever copied.
The only measure of what you believe is what you do. If you want to know what people believe, don’t read what they write, don’t ask them what they believe, just observe what they do.
The doctor has been taught to be interested not in health but in disease. What the public is taught is that health is the cure for disease.
- Stephen Jay Gould American Paleontologist
- John Ciardi American Poet
- Benjamin Disraeli British Head of State
- Israel Zangwill British Humorist
- Arthur Wing Pinero English Actor
- Howard Gardner American Psychologist
- Abraham Maslow American Psychologist
- Paul Samuelson American Economist
- Harold Bloom American Literary Critic
- Hannah Arendt German Political Theorist