Legislators represent people, not trees or acres. Legislators are elected by voters, not farms or cities or economic interests.
Many agricultural counties are far more important in the life of the State than their population bears to the entire population of the State. It is for this reason that I have never been in favor of restricting their representation in our State Senate to a strictly population basis. It is the same reason that the founding fathers of our country gave balanced representation to the States of the Union, equal representation in one House and proportionate representation based upon population in the other.
There is no requirement that police stop a person who enters a police station and states that he wishes to confess a crime or a person who calls the police to offer a confession because volunteered statements of any kind are not barred by the 5th Amendment.
I’m very pleased with each advancing year. It stems back to when I was forty. I was a bit upset about reaching that milestone, but an older friend consoled me. ‘Don’t complain about growing old – many, many people do not have that privilege’.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Hugo Black American Politician
- John Marshall American Judge
- William O. Douglas American Judge
- Felix Frankfurter American Judge
- Andrew Jackson American Head of State
- Robert G. Ingersoll American Lawyer, Orator, Agnostic
- Robert F. Kennedy American Politician
- William Blackstone English Judge
- George Wilshere, 1st Baron Bramwell English Judge
- Francis Jeffrey, Lord Jeffrey Scottish Judge, Critic