Many people consider the things government does for them to be social progress, but they consider the things government does for others as socialism.
Many agricultural counties are far more important in the life of the State than their population bears to the entire population of the State. It is for this reason that I have never been in favor of restricting their representation in our State Senate to a strictly population basis. It is the same reason that the founding fathers of our country gave balanced representation to the States of the Union, equal representation in one House and proportionate representation based upon population in the other.
There is no requirement that police stop a person who enters a police station and states that he wishes to confess a crime or a person who calls the police to offer a confession because volunteered statements of any kind are not barred by the 5th Amendment.
It would indeed be ironic if, in the name of national defense, we would sanction the subversion of those liberties which make the defense of the nation worthwhile.
Liberty, not communism, is the most contagious force in the world.
I’m very pleased with each advancing year. It stems back to when I was forty. I was a bit upset about reaching that milestone, but an older friend consoled me. ‘Don’t complain about growing old – many, many people do not have that privilege’.
Legislators represent people, not trees or acres. Legislators are elected by voters, not farms or cities or economic interests.
- Hugo Black American Politician, Jurist
- John Marshall American Judge
- William O. Douglas American Judge
- Felix Frankfurter American Judge
- Andrew Jackson American Head of State, Judge
- Robert F. Kennedy American Politician
- Robert G. Ingersoll American Atheist Politician
- George Wilshere, 1st Baron Bramwell English Judge
- William Blackstone English Judge, Jurist, Academic
- Francis Jeffrey, Lord Jeffrey Scottish Judge, Literary Critic