I have things in my head that are not like what anyone has taught me—shapes and ideas so near to me—so natural to my way of being and thinking that it hasn’t occurred to me to put them down.
When you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it’s your world for the moment. I want to give that world to someone else. Most people in the city rush around so, they have no time to look at a flower. I want them to see it whether they want to or not.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Hans Hofmann American-German Painter
- Marc Chagall French Painter, Graphic Artist
- B. B. King American Blues Musician
- Viggo Mortensen Danish American Actor
- Sandra Day O’Connor American Jurist
- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi Hungarian-American Biochemist
- John Dos Passos American Novelist, Artist
- Marianne Moore American Poet
- Helen Hayes American Actor
- Walt Disney American Entrepreneur