All colors are the friends of their neighbors and the lovers of their opposites.
When I am finishing a picture I hold some God-made object up to it—a rock, a flower, the branch of a tree or my hand—as a kind of final test. If the painting stands up beside a thing man cannot make, the painting is authentic. If there’s a clash between the two, it is bad art.
The fingers must be educated, the thumb is born knowing.
I adore the theater and I am a painter. I think the two are made for a marriage of love. I will give all my soul to prove this once more.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Georgia O’Keeffe American Painter
- Pablo Picasso Spanish Painter
- Claude Levi-Strauss French Anthropologist
- Salvador Dali Spanish Painter
- Coco Chanel French Fashion Designer
- Marcel Proust French Novelist
- Romain Gary French Diplomat
- Henri Bergson French Philosopher
- Andre Maurois French Novelist, Biographer
- Simone Weil French Philosopher, Political Activist