The lintel low enough to keep out pomp and pride; the threshold high enough to turn deceit aside; the door-band strong enough from robbers to defend: this door will open at a touch to welcome every friend.
—Henry van Dyke Jr.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Stephen Vincent Benet American Poet
- Richard Wright American Novelist, Short-Story Writer
- Wendell Berry American Author, Environmentalist
- Mark Van Doren American Poet, Writer, Critic
- Louis L’Amour American Novelist
- Jack Kerouac American Novelist, Poet
- Rod McKuen American Poet
- James Oppenheim American Poet, Novelist, Editor
- E. B. White American Essayist, Humorist
- Allen Ginsberg American Poet