Go West, young man, and grow up with the country.
Authorship is a royal priesthood; but woe to him who rashly lays unhallowed hands on the ark or altar, professing a zeal for the welfare of the race, only to secure his own selfish ends.
Fame is a vapor; popularity an accident; riches take wings; the only certainty is oblivion.
The Republic needed to be passed through chastening, purifying fires of adversity and suffering: so these came and did their work and the verdure of a new national life springs greenly, luxuriantly, from their ashes.
Abstaining is favorable both to the head and the pocket.
Great grief makes sacred those upon whom its hand is laid. — Joy may elevate, ambition glorify, but only sorrow can consecrate.
No amount of preaching, exhortation, sympathy, benevolence, will render the condition of our working women what it should be so long as the kitchen and the needle are subtsantially their only resources.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Charles Evans Hughes American Elected Rep
- William D. Hoard American Elected Rep
- Newt Gingrich American Politician
- Dan Greenberg American Elected Rep
- William H. Seward American Elected Representative
- Robert F. Kennedy American Politician
- Rudy Giuliani American Politician
- James F. Byrnes American Elected Representative
- Barry Goldwater American Elected Representative
- Frederick Douglass American Abolitionist