American Catholics rejoice in our separation of Church and State; and I can conceive no combination of circumstances likely to arise which should make a union desirable either to Church or State.
There must be no tampering with the delicate machinery by which religious liberty and equality are secured, and no fostering of any spirit which would tend to destroy that machinery.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Fulton J. Sheen American Catholic Religious Leader
- Pope John Paul II Polish Catholic Religious Leader
- Pope John XXIII Italian Catholic Religious Leader
- Bernard of Clairvaux French Catholic Religious Leader
- Jean Baptiste Massillon French Catholic Religious Leader
- Harold Kushner American Jewish Religious Leader
- Billy Graham American Baptist Religious Leader
- William J. H. Boetcker American Presbyterian Minister
- Neal A. Maxwell American Mormon Religious Leader
- Mary Baker Eddy American Christian Science Religious Leader