He who is dying of hunger must be fed rather than taught.
Justice is a certain rectitude of mind whereby a man
does what he ought to do in circumstances confronting him.
Faith has to do with things that are not seen,
and hope with things that are not in hand.
Religious worship is not directed to images in themselves, considered as mere things, but under their distinctive aspect as images leading us on to God incarnate. The movement toward the image does not terminate in it as image, but tends toward that whose image it is.
I would rather feel compassion than know the meaning of it.
Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.
- Bonaventure Italian Christian Scholar
- Saint Francis of Assisi American Italian Saint
- Henri Nouwen Dutch Catholic Priest, Writer
- Catherine of Siena Italian Philosopher
- Blaise Pascal French Catholic Mathematician
- Pope John XXIII Italian Catholic Religious Leader
- John Vianney French Catholic Priest
- Jerome Greek Priest, Apologist, Saint
- Desiderius Erasmus Dutch Catholic Humanist
- Bernard of Clairvaux French Catholic Religious Leader