Instead of having a set of policies that are equipping people for the globalization of the economy, we have policies that are accelerating the most destructive trends of the global economy.
More than a building that houses books and data, the library has always been a window to a larger world–a place where we’ve always come to discover big ideas and profound concepts that help move the American story forward.
A good compromise, a good piece of legislation, is like a good sentence; or a good piece of music. Everybody can recognize it. They say, “Huh. It works. It makes sense.”
Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a certain poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. … Because it’s only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true potential.
Strange how a single conversation can change you. Or maybe it only seems that way in retrospect. A year passes and you know you feel differently, but you’re not sure what or why or how, so your mind casts back for something that might give that difference shape: a word, a glance, a touch.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Woodrow Wilson American Head of State
- Abraham Lincoln American Head of State
- Dan Quayle American Head of State
- Hubert Humphrey American Head of State
- John C. Calhoun American Head of State
- Charles G. Dawes American Head of State
- Hillary Rodham Clinton American Head of State
- Franklin D. Roosevelt American Head of State
- Ronald Reagan American Head of State
- John F. Kennedy American Head of State