More than a building that houses books and data, the library has always been a window to a larger world–a place where we’ve always come to discover big ideas and profound concepts that help move the American story forward.
Instead of having a set of policies that are equipping people for the globalization of the economy, we have policies that are accelerating the most destructive trends of the global economy.
Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a certain poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. … Because it’s only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true potential.
A good compromise, a good piece of legislation, is like a good sentence; or a good piece of music. Everybody can recognize it. They say, “Huh. It works. It makes sense.”
Strange how a single conversation can change you. Or maybe it only seems that way in retrospect. A year passes and you know you feel differently, but you’re not sure what or why or how, so your mind casts back for something that might give that difference shape: a word, a glance, a touch.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Woodrow Wilson American Head of State
- Abraham Lincoln American Head of State
- Dan Quayle American Head of State
- Hubert Humphrey American Head of State
- John C. Calhoun American Head of State
- Charles G. Dawes American Head of State
- Hillary Rodham Clinton American Head of State
- Franklin D. Roosevelt American Head of State
- Ronald Reagan American Head of State
- John F. Kennedy American Head of State