The sure sign of a weak man who ascends to glory is that he can’t tolerate having strong men around him.
Among artists without talent Marxism will always be popular, since it enables them to blame society for the fact that nobody wants to hear what they have to say.
All television ever did was shrink the demand for ordinary movies. The demand for extraordinary movies increased. If any one thing is wrong with the movie industry today, it is the unrelenting effort to astonish.
The question of originality, if it arises at all, can never be peripheral: originality is more than a requirement in good poetry, it is a description of it.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Seamus Heaney Irish Poet, Playwright
- Oliver Sacks British Neurologist, Writer
- Cecil Day-Lewis British Poet, Critic
- Stephen Spender English Poet, Critic
- Anthony Burgess English Novelist, Critic
- Brian Friel Irish Dramatist, Short Story Writer
- Nadine Gordimer South African Novelist
- Zadie Smith (b.1975) English Novelist, Essayist, Short-story Writer
- William Butler Yeats Irish Poet
- J. R. R. Tolkien British Philologist, Writer