It is the pull of opposite poles that stretches souls. And only stretched souls make music.
There is probably an element of malice in the readiness to overestimate people; we are laying up for ourselves the pleasure of later cutting them down to size.
The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do.
The wise learn from the experience of others, and the creative know how to make a crumb of experience go a long way.
If a society is to preserve stability and a degree of continuity, it must know how to keep its adolescents from imposing their tastes, attitudes, values and fantasies on everyday life.
It is probably true that business corrupts everything it touches. It corrupts politics, sports, literature, art, labor unions and so on. But business also corrupts and undermines monolithic totalitarianism. Capitalism is at its liberating best in a noncapitalist environment.
You can never get enough of what you don’t really need.
The most gifted members of the human species are at their creative best when they cannot have their way, and most compensate for what they miss by realizing and cultivating their capabilities and talents.
We can remember minutely and precisely only the things which never really happened to us.
- John Dewey American Philosopher
- William James American Philosopher
- Mortimer J. Adler American Philosopher
- Charles Sanders Peirce American Philosopher
- Will Durant American Historian
- Henry David Thoreau American Philosopher
- George Santayana Spanish Philosopher
- Rollo May American Philosopher
- Ralph Waldo Emerson American Philosopher
- Henri Bergson French Philosopher