Education commences at the mother’s knee, and every word spoken in the hearing of little children tends toward the formation of character. — Let parents always bear this in mind.
Topics: Education, Example
It is my humble prayer that I may be of some use in my day and generation
Not the least misfortune in a prominent falsehood is the fact that tradition is apt to repeat it for truth.
There is no possible excuse for a guarded lie. — Enthusiastic and impulsive people will sometimes falsify thoughtlessly, but equivocation is malice prepense.
God’s glowing covenant.
It is in sickness that we most feel the need of that sympathy which shows how much we are dependent upon one another for our comfort, and even necessities. Thus disease, opening our eyes to the realities of life, is an indirect blessing.
Obedience sums up our entire duty.
Obedience, as it regards the social relations, the rules of society, and the laws of nature and nature’s God, should commence at the cradle and end only at the tomb.
As unkindness has no remedy at law, let its avoidance be with you a point of honor.
It is but a step from companionship to slavery when one associates with vice.
Exaggeration is a blood relation to falsehood, and nearly as blameable.
- Edwin Hubbell Chapin American Universalist Preacher
- Edward Everett Hale American Unitarian Clergyman
- Robert Fulghum American Unitarian Universalist Author
- William Laurence Sullivan American Unitarian Clergyman
- Phillips Brooks American Episcopal Clergyman
- Thomas Merton French-born American Clergyman
- Theodore L. Cuyler American Presbyterian Clergyman
- Maltbie Davenport Babcock American Presbyterian Clergyman
- Harry Emerson Fosdick American Baptist Clergyman
- George C. Lorimer American Baptist Clergyman