O, do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men! Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks! Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle. But you shall be a miracle. Every day you shall wonder at yourself, at the richness of life which has come to you by the grace of God.
Topics: Strength, Prayer, Potential, Ability
The true way to be humble is not to stoop until you are smaller than yourself, but to stand at your real height against some higher nature that will show you what the real smallness of your greatness is.
No man or woman of the humblest sort can really be strong, gentle and pure and good, without the world being better for it, without somebody being helped and comforted by the very existence of that goodness.
Topics: Goodness, Existence
Forgive, forget. Bear with the faults of others as you would have them bear with yours. Be patient and understanding. Life is too short to be vengeful or malicious.
Topics: Patience, Forgiveness
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Sam Shoemaker American Episcopal Priest
- Edward Everett Hale American Unitarian Clergyman
- Hosea Ballou American Theologian
- Thomas Merton American Trappist Monk
- Edward McKendree Bounds American Methodist Clergyman
- James Freeman Clarke American Unitarian Clergyman
- William Laurence Sullivan American Unitarian Clergyman
- Harry Emerson Fosdick American Baptist Minister
- Charles Henry Parkhurst American Clergyman
- Henry Ward Beecher American Protestant Clergyman