If I could choose what of all things would be at the same time the most delightful and useful to me, I should prefer a firm religious belief to every other blessing; for this makes life a discipline of goodness; creates new hopes when all earthly ones vanish; throws over the decay of existence the most gorgeous of all lights; awakens life even in death; makes even torture and shame the ladder of ascent to paradise; and far above all combinations of earthly hopes, calls up the most delightful visions of the future, the security of everlasting joys, where the sensualist and the skeptic view only gloom, decay, annihilation, and despair.
Topics: Faith, Religion
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Charles Darwin British Naturalist
- John Herschel English Mathematician
- Margaret Thatcher British Head of State
- Linus Pauling American Scientist, Peace Activist
- Willis R. Whitney American Chemist
- James Bryant Conant American Chemist
- James Cook English Explorer, Cartographer
- Thomas Henry Huxley English Biologist
- Alfred, Lord Tennyson British Poet
- Robert Baden-Powell, 1st Baron Baden-Powell Founder of the Boy Scouts