Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.
I have been a soreheaded occupant of a file drawer labeled “Science Fiction” and I would like out, particularly since so many serious critics regularly mistake the drawer for a urinal.
Topics: Science Fiction
Who is more to be pitied, a writer bound and gagged by policemen or one living in perfect freedom who has nothing more to say?
Be careful what you pretend to be, because you are what you pretend to be.
Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion … . I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
Topics: Learning, Caution
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
I can think of no more stirring symbol of man’s humanity to man than a fire engine.
I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can’t see from the center.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Philip Roth American Novelist, Short-story Writer
- Gore Vidal American Novelist
- David Foster Wallace American Novelist, Essayist
- Marge Piercy American Poet
- Henry Miller American Novelist
- William S. Burroughs American Novelist
- Ray Bradbury American Science-Fiction Writer
- Robert Anton Wilson American Polymath
- Philip K. Dick American Novelist
- Nelson Algren American Novelist