My God! The English language is a form of communication! Conversation isn’t just crossfire where you shoot and get shot at! Where you’ve got to duck for your life and aim to kill! Words aren’t only bombs and bullets — no, they’re little gifts, containing meanings!
Topics: Words, Language
Fear tends to manifest itself much more quickly than greed, so volatile markets tend to be on the downside. In up markets, volatility tends to gradually decline.
It isn’t that you subordinate your ideas to the force of the facts in autobiography but that you construct a sequence of stories to bind up the facts with a persuasive hypothesis that unravels your history’s meaning.
A Jew without Jews, without Judaism, without Zionism, without Jewishness, without a temple or an army or even a pistol, a Jew clearly without a home, just the object itself, like a glass or an apple.
Topics: Jews, Judaism, Religion
I write fiction and I’m told it’s autobiography, I write autobiography and I’m told it’s fiction, so since I’m so dim and they’re so smart, let them decide what it is or it isn’t.
Topics: Autobiography, Writing
I cannot and do not live in the world of discretion, not as a writer, anyway. I would prefer to, I assure you—it would make life easier. But discretion is, unfortunately, not for novelists.
If there’s anything worse than self-questioning coming too early in life, it’s self-questioning coming too late.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Saul Bellow Canadian-born American Novelist
- Kurt Vonnegut American Novelist
- Bernard Malamud American Novelist
- Nelson Algren American Novelist
- Joyce Carol Oates American Novelist
- William Styron American Novelist
- William Faulkner American Novelist
- Toni Morrison American Novelist
- Robert Penn Warren American Novelist, Poet
- Ray Bradbury American Science-Fiction Writer