When there is pain, there are no words. All pain is the same.
All paradises, all utopias are designed by who is not there, by the people who are not allowed in.
Definitions belong to the definers, not the defined.
For me, Art is the restoration of order. It may discuss all sort of terrible things, but there must be satisfaction at the end. A little bit of hunger, but also satisfaction.
- Pearl S. Buck American Novelist
- Charles W. Chesnutt American Novelist
- Philip Roth American Novelist, Short-story Writer
- Langston Hughes American Novelist
- William Dean Howells American Novelist
- William Faulkner American Novelist
- Saul Bellow Canadian-born American Novelist
- Joyce Carol Oates American Novelist
- Erica Jong American Novelist
- Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni Indian-born American Novelist