The supreme paradox of all thought is the attempt to discover something that thought cannot think.
Purity of heart is to will one thing.
It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards.
Topics: Living, Failure, Nature, Time, Reflection, Sin, Life, Challenges, Past, Meaning, Perseverance, Experience, Purpose, Courage, Life and Living
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.
It requires courage not to surrender oneself to the ingenious or compassionate counsels of despair that would induce a man to eliminate himself from the ranks of the living; but it does not follow from this that every huckster who is fattened and nourished in self-confidence has more courage than the man who yielded to despair.
Topics: Courage, Bravery
To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. To not dare is to lose oneself.
Truth is not introduced into the individual from without, but was within him all the time.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Augustine of Hippo Roman-African Christian Philosopher
- Wilhelm Dilthey German Philosopher
- Karl Marx German Philosopher, Economist
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer German Lutheran Pastor
- Jacques Derrida French Philosopher, Literary Theorist
- Karl Barth Swiss Protestant Theologian
- Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel German Philosopher
- Thomas Aquinas Italian Catholic Priest
- Niels Bohr Danish Physicist
- Christopher Hitchens Anglo-American Social Critic