Never let anybody guess that you have a mind of your own. Above all be pure.
When a subject is highly controversial… one cannot hope to tell the truth. One can only show how one came to hold whatever opinion one does hold. One can only give one’s audience the chance of drawing their own conclusions as they observe the limitations, the prejudices, the idiosyncrasies of the speaker.
The man who is aware of himself is henceforward independent; and he is never bored, and life is only too short, and he is steeped through and through with a profound yet temperate happiness.
By hook or by crook, I hope that you will possess yourselves of money enough to travel and to idle, to contemplate the future or the past of the world, to dream over books and loiter at street corners and let the line of thought dip deep into the stream.
You cannot find peace by avoiding life.
The beauty of the world has two edges, one of laughter, one of anguish, cutting the heart asunder.
The mind is the most capricious of insects – flitting, fluttering.
- E. M. Forster English Novelist
- Vita Sackville-West English Gardener
- D. H. Lawrence English Novelist
- Jeanette Winterson English Novelist, Journalist
- Pamela Hansford Johnson English Novelist
- Jane Austen English Novelist
- Mary Elizabeth Braddon British Novelist
- Anthony Powell English Novelist, Memoirist
- Rebecca West English Author
- Dinah Craik English Novelist