To teach a child an instrument without first giving him preparatory training and without developing singing, reading and dictating to the highest level along with the playing is to build upon sand.
Singing connected with movements and action is a much more ancient, and, at the same time, more complex phenomenon than is a simple song.
Real art is one of the most powerful forces in the rise of mankind, and he who renders it accessible to as many people as possible is a benefactor of humanity.
We should read music in the same way that an educated adult will read a book: in silence, but imagining the sound.
Let us take our children seriously! Everything else follows from this… only the best is good enough for a child.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Igor Stravinsky Russian-born American Composer
- Jean Sibelius Finnish Composer
- Vladimir Horowitz Russian-born American Pianist
- Arthur Rubinstein Polish-born American Composer
- Frank Zappa American Rock Guitarist, Singer, Composer
- Bernice Johnson Reagon American Singer
- John Cage American Composer
- Claude Debussy French Composer
- Gian Carlo Menotti Italian-born American Composer
- Bela Bartok Hungarian Composer, Ethnomusicologist