If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.
Topics: Purpose, Kindness, Giving, Living, Helpfulness, Service, Meaning
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all,
And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.
Success is counted sweetest by those who ne’er succeed.
We turn, not older with years, but newer every day.
- Marge Piercy American Poet
- Edgar Allan Poe American Poet
- Thomas Bailey Aldrich American Poet
- Josiah Gilbert Holland American Novelist
- John Greenleaf Whittier American Quaker Poet
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow American Poet
- Celia Thaxter American Poet
- Walt Whitman American Poet
- Thomas Wentworth Higginson American Unitarian Minister
- Witter Bynner American Poet