There is no power like that of true oratory. Caesar controlled men by exciting their fears; Cicero, by captivating their affections and swaying their passions. The influence of the one perished with its author; that of the other continues to this day.
Yes, sir, from Constantinople, or from the Brazils; from Turk or christian; from black or white; from the dey of Algiers or the bey of Tunis; from the devil himself, if he wore a crown, we should receive a minister.
In a scheme of policy which is devised for a nation, we should not limit our views to its operation during a single year, or even for a short term of years. We should look at its operation for a considerable time, and in war as well as in peace.
Courtesies of a small and trivial character are the ones which strike deepest in the grateful and appreciating heart.
In all the affairs of life, social as well as political, courtesies of a small and trivial character are the ones which strike deepest to the grateful and appreciating heart.
- John C. Calhoun American Head of State
- John Quincy Adams American Head of State
- Andrew Jackson American Head of State
- James F. Byrnes American Elected Representative
- Madeleine Albright Czech-born American Diplomat
- George Marshall American Military Leader
- Colin Powell American Military Leader
- James Branch Cabell American Author of Fantasy Fiction
- Samuel Beckett Irish Novelist, Playwright
- Davy Crockett American Frontiersman, Politician