We all remember how many religious wars were fought for a religion of love and gentleness; how many bodies were burned alive with the genuinely kind intention of saving souls from the eternal fire of hell
The best thing that can happen to a human being is to find a problem, to fall in love with that problem, and to live trying to solve that problem, unless another problem even more lovable appears.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Zeno of Citium Greek Philosopher
- Jeremy Bentham British Philosopher, Economist
- Jacques Derrida French Philosopher, Literary Theorist
- Ludwig Wittgenstein Austrian-born British Philosopher
- Bertrand A. Russell British Philosopher, Mathematician
- Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz German Philosopher, Mathematician
- Thales of Miletus Greek Philosopher, Mathematician
- Friedrich Hayek British Economist, Social Philosopher
- Masanobu Fukuoka Japanese Buddhist Polymath
- Karl Marx German Philosopher, Economist