If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can’t be done.
I am an optimist, unrepentant and militant. After all, in order not to be a fool an optimist must know how sad a place the world can be. It is only the pessimist who finds this out anew every day.
The stupidity of a stupid man is mercifully intimate and reticient, while the stupidity of an intellectual is cried from the rooftops.
To refuse awards is another way of accepting them with more noise than is normal.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Stephen Fry English Actor, Writer
- Hanif Kureishi British Novelist, Screenwriter
- Roger Moore English Actor
- Michael Palin English Actor, Writer, Television Traveler
- John Berger English Art Critic, Essayist, Novelist
- Anthony Burgess English Novelist, Critic
- Max Beerbohm British Humorist
- Stephen Spender English Poet, Critic
- Phil Collins British Rock Musician, Singer
- Philip Pullman English Children’s Author, Dramatist