Decisive inventions and discoveries always are initiated by an intellectual or moral stimulus as their actual motivating force, but, usually, the final impetus to human action is given by material impulses … merchants stood as a driving force behind the heroes of the age of discovery; this first heroic impulse to conquer the world emanated from very mortal forces.
Each of us, even the lowliest and most insignificant among us, was uprooted from his innermost existence by the almost constant volcanic upheavals visited upon our European soil and, as one of countless human beings, I can’t claim any special place for myself except that, as an Austrian, a Jew, writer, humanist and pacifist, I have always been precisely in those places where the effects of the thrusts were most violent., as one of countless human beings, I can
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Franz Kafka Austrian Novelist
- Arthur Koestler British Writer, Journalist
- Ludwig Wittgenstein Austrian-born British Philosopher
- Woody Allen American Film Actor, Director
- Harvey Fierstein American Actor
- Arthur Miller American Playwright
- Harold Pinter British Playwright
- Gerard de Nerval French Poet, Writer
- Guy Debord French Philosopher
- Abbie Hoffman American Political Activist