Let each hour of the day have its allotted duty, and cultivate that power of concentration which grows with its exercise … .
A physician who treats himself has a fool for a patient.
No human being is constituted to know the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth; and even the best of men must be content with fragments, with partial glimpses, never the full fruition.
Nothing will sustain you more potently than the power to recognize in your humdrum routine, as perhaps it may be thought, the true poetry of life.
It is much simpler to buy books than to read them and easier to read them than to absorb their contents. Too many men slip early out of the habit of studious reading, and yet that is essential…
Best possible way to prepare for tomorrow
is to concentrate all your intelligence,
on doing’s today’s work superbly today.
To have striven, to have made the effort, to have been true to certain ideals — this alone is worth the struggle.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Frederick Banting Canadian Medical Scientist
- Wilfred Grenfell Canadian Humanitarian
- Erastus Wiman Canadian Journalist
- Thomas Chandler Haliburton Canadian Author
- Lucy Maud Montgomery Canadian Novelist, Children’s Writer
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. American Physician, Essayist
- Deepak Chopra Indian-born American Physician
- Viktor Frankl Austrian Psychiatrist
- Wilhelm Stekel Austrian Physician
- Georges Clemenceau French Head of State