What is to give light must endure burning.
A man who becomes conscious of the responsibility he bears toward a human being who affectionately waits for him, or to an unfinished work, will never be able to throw away his life. He knows the “why” for his existence, and will be able to bear almost any “how”.
The existential vacuum manifests itself mainly in a state of boredom.
Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.
For SUCCESS, like HAPPINESS, cannot be pursued,
it is the unintended side effect of one’s personal
dedication to a course greater than oneself.
In some way, suffering ceases to be suffering at the moment it finds a meaning, such as the meaning of a sacrifice.
Everything can be taken from a man but one thing:
the last of the human freedoms — to choose one’s attitude
in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.
For the world is in a bad state, but everything will become still worse unless each of us does his best.
- Wilhelm Stekel Austrian Physician
- Alfred Adler Austrian Psychologist
- Franz Kafka Austrian Novelist
- Ludwig Wittgenstein Austrian Philosopher
- Ludwig von Mises Austrian Economist, Philosopher
- Julien Offray de La Mettrie French Physician
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. American Physician
- Georges Clemenceau French Head of State, Physician
- William Osler Canadian Physician
- Deepak Chopra Indian-born American Physician