Silence accompanies the most significant expressions of happiness and unhappiness: those in love understand one another best when silent, while the most heated and impassioned speech at a graveside touches only outsiders, but seems cold and inconsequential to the widow and children of the deceased.
We shall find peace. We shall hear angels. We shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds.
Capital punishment kills immediately, whereas lifetime imprisonment does so slowly. Which executioner is more humane? The one who kills you in a few minutes, or the one who wrests your life from you in the course of many years?
Reason and justice tell me there’s more love for humanity in electricity and steam than in chastity and vegetarianism.
Michael Astroff says that forests are the ornaments of the earth, that they teach mankind to understand beauty and attune his mind to lofty sentiments. Forests temper a stern climate, and in countries where the climate is milder, less strength is wasted in the battle with nature, and the people are kind and gentle.
All of life and human relations have become so incomprehensibly complex that, when you think about it, it becomes terrifying and your heart stands still.
- V. S. Pritchett British Short Story Writer
- Damon Runyon American Short Story Writer
- Eudora Welty American Short Story Writer
- Saki (Hector Hugh Munro) British Short Story Writer
- Andre Dubus American Short Story Writer
- William H. Gass American Short Story Writer
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist
- Katherine Mansfield British Author
- Leo Tolstoy Russian Novelist
- Catherine II of Russia Russian Empress