As the skull of a man grows broader, so do his creeds. And his gods they are shaped in his image and mirror his needs. And he clothes them with thunders and beauty, he clothes them with music and fire, seeing not, as he bows by their altars, that he worships his own desire.
If you make people think they’re thinking, they’ll love you; but if you really make them think, they’ll hate you.
The goal of all civilization, all religious thought, and all that sort of thing is simply to have a good time. But man gets so solemn over the process that he forgets the end.
Topics: Aspirations, Goals
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Sam Levenson American Humorist
- Robert Quillen American Journalist
- Thomas Masson American Journalist
- Andy Rooney American Writer
- Don Herold American Humorist
- Charles Farrar Browne (Artemus Ward) American Humorist
- Mark Twain American Humorist
- Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw) American Humorist
- Cullen Hightower American Humorist
- Leo Rosten Russian-born American Humorist