To relinquish a present good through apprehension of a future evil is in most instances unwise … from a fear which may afterwards turn out groundless, you lost the good that lay within your grasp.
Topics: Fear, Anxiety, Tomorrow, The Future
As it is our nature to be more moved by hope than fear, the example of one we see abundantly rewarded cheers and encourages us far more than the sight of many who have not been well treated disquiets us.
Topics: Role models, Feminism
The return we reap from generous actions is not always evident.
- Dante Alighieri Italian Poet, Philosopher
- Petrarch Italian Scholar
- Giuseppe Mazzini Italian Philosopher
- Will Durant American Historian
- Edward Gibbon English Historian
- James Truslow Adams American Historian
- E. V. Lucas English Author
- Daniel J. Boorstin American Historian
- Jacques Barzun French-born American Historian
- Christopher Lasch American Historian