To relinquish a present good through apprehension of a future evil is in most instances unwise … from a fear which may afterwards turn out groundless, you lost the good that lay within your grasp.
Topics: Fear, Anxiety, Tomorrow, The Future
As it is our nature to be more moved by hope than fear, the example of one we see abundantly rewarded cheers and encourages us far more than the sight of many who have not been well treated disquiets us.
Topics: Role models, Feminism
The return we reap from generous actions is not always evident.
- Dante Alighieri Italian Poet, Philosopher
- Petrarch Italian Scholar
- Giuseppe Mazzini Italian Philosopher
- B. H. Liddell Hart English Historian
- Alfred Whitney Griswold American Historian
- Plutarch Greek Biographer
- James Harvey Robinson American Historian
- Arnold J. Toynbee British Historian
- James Anthony Froude British Historian
- Theodore H. White American Journalist