It is in men as in soils where sometimes there is a vein of gold which the owner knows not of.
If a proud man makes me keep my distance, the comfort is that he keeps his at the same time.
May you live all the days of your life.
When a true genius appears in the world,
you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
A man should never be ashamed to
own that he has been in the wrong,
which is but saying…that he is wiser today than yesterday.
A wise man should have money in his head, but not in his heart.
Argument is the worst sort of conversation.
No wise man ever wished to be younger.
The best doctors in the world are Doctor Diet, Doctor Quiet and Doctor Merryman.
Promises and Pye-Crusts, are made to be broken.
Blessed is he who expects nothing,
for he shall never be disappointed.
- Oscar Wilde Irish Poet
- Sheridan Le Fanu Irish Novelist
- Laurence Sterne Irish Anglican Novelist
- Thomas Love Peacock English Satirist, Novelist
- Oliver Goldsmith Irish Author
- James Joyce Irish Novelist
- Edmund Burke Irish Political leader
- Elizabeth Bowen Irish Novelist
- William Butler Yeats Irish Poet
- George William Russell Irish Author, Poet