Friends make pretence of following to the grave but before one is in it, their minds are turned and making the best of their way back to life and living people and things they understand.
Suddenly, quietly, you realize that – from this moment forth – you will no longer walk through this life alone. Like a new sun this awareness arises within you, freeing you from fear, opening your life. It is the beginning of love, and the end of all that came before.
There are two kinds of teachers: the kind that fill you with so much quail shot that you can’t move, and the kind that just gives you a little prod behind and you jump to the skies.
The reason why worry kills more people than work is that more people worry than work.
Sometimes, the only way out is through.
We can make a little order where we are, and then the big sweep of history on which we can have no effect doesn’t overwhelm us. We do it with colors, with a garden, with the furnishings of a room, or with sounds and words. We make a little form, and we gain composure.
The heart can think of no devotion
Greater than being shore to the ocean-
Holding the curve of one position,
Counting an endless repetition.
Don’t ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up.
Always fall in with what you’re asked to accept. Take what is given, and make it over your way. My aim in life has always been to hold my own with whatever’s going. Not against: with.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Robert Penn Warren American Novelist, Poet
- Theodore Roethke American Poet
- W. H. Auden British-born American Poet
- Edna St. Vincent Millay American Poet
- John Ciardi American Poet
- James Russell Lowell American Poet, Critic
- William Butler Yeats Irish Poet
- Celia Thaxter American Poet
- Thomas Bailey Aldrich American Poet
- T. S. Eliot American-born British Poet